Engineering camp opens eyes to future career

This is a wonderful story about one of our amazing Year 12 students. Veronica has been proactive in seeking out opportunities to explore her options beyond the HSC and it is fantastic to see she has been able to get some ‘real world’ experience in a field she is passionate about.

About Catholic Schools

With Extension Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry all part of her HSC study load, Veronica Wenn is among a new wave of young women primed to follow their interest in a scientific career.

To this, the Year 12 student at St Clare’s College Waverley has added valuable exposure to the practical side of STEM-based work through the University of NSW Women in Engineering Camp.

Veronica was one of 100 young women from across Australia selected for the week-long camp during the January school holidays.

It exposed participants to biomedical and petroleum engineering workshops, networking opportunities with industry professionals, and site visits to places including NSW Transport and the naval base HMAS Waterhen.

“It was pretty amazing,” Veronica said.

“When I told my mum I was going to a women in engineering camp she was really happy for me because she didn’t have any opportunities like that when she was younger.

View original post 439 more words